This is a short update on the eruption in Fagradalsfjall mountain in Krýsuvík-Trölladyngja volcano system.
Last 24 hours have been busy in the eruption. Here are highlights of what has happened best to my knowledge.
- New fissure opened up and started erupting between the Geldingadalir eruption, second day of Easter eruption and the new eruption fissure is between the two.
- The lava fields have now merged and are now one large lava field from Geldingadalir down to Meradalir valleys.
- The eruption continues at the same slow rate as before even with several new vents erupting.
- Morgunblaðið lost their first web camera to the lava flow (news can be found here in Icelandic). Icelandic Met Office had hardware close to the new lava flow. I don’t know if that hardware was saved from the lava flow but it was planned attempt to do so before it was lost to the lava.
- The fissures might merge at future point and start erupting at one large fissure eruption. It is impossible to know if that is going to happen or when that might happen.
- There has not been any deflation detected in the GPS data after the eruption started. That GPS data can be viewed here.
- New fissures have been detected north of the crater that started erupting on 5-April-2021. Those fissure might start erupting without warning.
- There is a risk of the eruption also going south-west and opening up fissures there. That has not yet happened but the possibility remains as a high risk possibility.
The situation is difficult to predict and new fissures can open up without warning. If nothing major happens then next update is going to be Friday 9-April-2021 on the eruption.