This is a short update about ongoing eruption that can change without warning and information here can go out of date quickly.
- Eruption started close to Hagafell mountain at 07:58 UTC on 14. January 2024. Two fissures opened up.
- The largest fissure was at its maximum length around 900 meters. The second smaller fissure is around 100 to 200 meters long.
- The second fissure is almost inside Grindavík town and has lava flowing into the town.
- Lava flow has destroyed two to three houses at the writing of this article.
- In the last few hours, the harmonic tremor has dropped. This suggest that the strength of the eruption is getting lower.
- There’s no power, cold water or hot water in Grindavík town. Lava has destroyed the cold water, hot water and power lines that go into Grindavík town. Repairs are going to take months if Grindavík town is found save to live in after few months.
- New fissures and displacement happened during the dyke intrusion phase of this eruption. Some areas of Grindavík town moved up to two meters in either direction according to Icelandic Met Office. At this time, accurate measurements have not been done because how unsafe the area is.
- The eruption is happening alongside the rift valley and not in it. I am not sure why that is.
This is all I have for now. Next update should be on 16. January unless something major happens in this eruption.
Rúv has web cameras on their YouTube channel and same does mbl.is and Vísir news website.