This information is going to get outdated quickly. This is current events in Báðarbunga volcano.
- Rift valley has formed south of the eruption. Part of this rift valley is not under the glacier. Most of this rift valley is under the glacier, were the glacier is thin the glacier has formed a cauldron that is around 1 km wide and several meters deep. There is a risk of eruption in the newly formed rift valley.
- Harmonic tremor suggest that an glacier flood is under way from Bárðarbunga volcano. What is happening is unclear at the moment. Scientists and press people have been told to evacuate the area due to this risk.
- More magma is going into the dyke then is erupting from it. This has increased the pressure inside the dyke.
- Largest earthquake since midnight had the magnitude 5,5.
- There has not been any sign of an eruption under the glacier yet. One idea for this increase in harmonic tremor is that ground water got into contact with the magma at 1 to 2 km depth.
- There is a high risk of eruption taking place under the glacier in the area of Dyngjujökull glacier, that glacier is south of current eruption and can be seen on the Míla web cameras.
- There is a lot of cracks in the ground south of the eruption, in some places the ground has dropped some meters down.
Updates on 4-September-2014
- Largest earthquakes since midnight (04-September-2014) had the magnitude of 4,8 and 4,4.
- The eruption is now creating 120 to 130 meters tall lava fountains at the moment. No other change has been reported.
News in both Icelandic and English
Mikið af sprungum í jörðinni (Rúv.is, Icelandic, Video, Image)
Hraunbreiðan 9,1 ferkílómetri (mbl.is, Icelandic, Pictures)
Notice on commens
I have to approve all comments first time around. This is in order to prevent spam from taking place in my comment section. Spam prevention is the common Captcha puzzle and a maths test. Registered users don’t have to type in captcha word puzzle or the maths test.
Article updated at 00:27 UTC on 04-September-2014.
Article updated at 11:58 UTC on 04-September-2014.
Article updated at 14:01 UTC on 04-September-2014.
According to latest news a large cauldron has formed in Dyngjujökull glacier. The cauldron is about 1 km wide and it is deep (no mention of how deep it is in the news).
Update 1: No eruption has yet started. It is however now expected to start without warning. The cauldron are forming due an rift valley formation in this area.
I will post more information about is when I have more details.
Article updated at 12:40 UTC.
Article updated at 12:42 UTC.
The low fair airliner EasyJet has transported one ton of volcano ash from Eyjafjallajökll volcano to UK from Iceland. The propose for doing this is to test jet engines against the volcano ash and too see what type of damage they do, two jets from Airbus are going to be used.
This news was reported by Rúv and can be read here below. It was also reported by ITV in English and that can be found here below.
Tonn af ösku flutt til Bretlands (Rúv.is)
Fluttu tonn af ösku frá Íslandi (mbl.is)
Tonne of ash to be used in flight test (ITV News)
According to an new study into the Eyjafjallajökull volcano ash cloud. It appears that more volcano ash was up in the air then originally estimated. The estimation now is that the amount of volcano ash was around 100 times more then expected during the eruption. This has serious implications to air travel in the future if there is a repeat of the Eyjafjallajökull volcano eruption scenario. But most of Eyjafjallajökull volcano ash was small and fine volcano ash that did stay long time up in the air.
This is the conclusion in a study that was made by Mark Woodhouse (and more people) and is published in Journal of Geophysical Research. Sadly I do not have access to this study (I am too poor to do so). So I an only repeat what the Rúv News is saying about this study.
News and links
Öskufallið var meira en við héldum (Rúv.is, Icelandic)
Journal of Geophysical Research
According to web cam images and images on the internet of Etna volcano. It seems that Etna volcano is preparing for an new small eruption. When and how big this eruption is going to be is impossible to know for sure. But ash emission have already started in the crater that is most likley going to erupt.
I am going to update this blog post with more details if I can get them.