This is a short update on the eruption in Fagradalsfjall mountain in Merdalir valley. As expected there is not a lot of news in this eruption, since lava type of eruptions are normally not news heavy eruptions.
- The amount of lava that is now erupting according to latest news is about 15m3/sec. This is higher than the eruption in Geldingadalir in 2021.
- The lava seems to have filled up the valley the eruption started in. The floor seems to be about 10 to 30 meters high depending on location.
- The crater has formed to some extend. The lava lake that remains there blocks the formation of a normal crater for now. This might change with time as the eruption continues.
- Lava flow go both in south and north direction. The north lava flow goes into a smaller valley that was there. This is the long way out of the valley for now.
- There is a risk that the lava flow is going to reach road 427 (Suðurstrandavegur) in few weeks time.
- The risk of new eruption sites opening up remains high and that risk increases as the eruption goes on.
- There is a swarm of small earthquakes that has been happening regularly since the start of the eruption in the dyke. It is unclear why that is happening.
- I’ve been seeing what appears to be a lava fountain taking place in the eruption in the last few hours. This has not yet been confirmed, I have however observed this on the web cameras.
I think this is all. I hope the next update is going to be on Friday 19th August 2022 unless something major happens.
Please remember to support my work with donations if you can. Unlike most other creators I don’t have an award program, because I am not in that type of business. I also don’t make videos. However, donations make my life easier because I am on fixed income and most months I am just poor person.