This is a short update of Bárðarbunga volcano eruption.
- The eruption has now lasted almost four months. Making this the longest eruption in Iceland for many, many years. This might be the longest eruption in Iceland since 19th century.
- The lava field in Holuhraun is now larger then 80 km² in size. The lava now flows underground in lava tubes inside the lava field. It breaks out on the edges at times and sometimes up on the surface.
- Earthquake activity remains the same in Bárðarbunga volcano. Bad weather has decreased the sensitivity on the nearby SIL sensors. Some remain offline due the weather and heavy snow in the area.
- Subsidence has slowed, the amount of larger earthquakes has also dropped at the same time. It has not stopped, just slowed down for the moment.
- There are no signs about the eruption ending any time soon. The eruption could go on for years, at least many months in it’s current phase.
Other news about Bárðarbunga volcano eruption
- Scientists are getting bored of the meetings about the Bárðarbunga volcano. So far around 80 or so meetings have taken place since the eruption started.
- Scientists are going to continue monitoring and keeping going to meetings, even if they are a bit bored on them.
- Police is keep watch in Drekagil location. At the moment there are just two police people at that location now. Since no scientists have been able to go to Holuhraun in the past two or three weeks due to bad weather.
Tungafellsjökull volcano update
- Latest news report suggest that dyke intrusion is taking place in Tungafellsjökull volcano.
- If an eruption takes place in Tungafellsjökull volcano it is guessed that is not going to be any larger than the eruption in Fimmvörðuháls in Eyjafjallajökull volcano during it’s eruption phase in 2010.
- Earthquake activity is expected to continue in Tungafellsjökull volcano while Bárðarbunga volcano is active.
Earthquake map for the last 48 hours
Other than this there is nothing else to report at the moment.
Icelandic News about Bárðarbunga volcano
Christmas update schedule
Next updates about current phase of the eruption in Bárðarbunga volcano are going to be on 27-December-2014 and 29-December-2014.
I have made the decision on moving my Paypal to Iceland. Since I won’t be moving back to Denmark and there is no point in keeping my Paypal account in that country. I am going to move the PayPal account tomorrow (23-December-2014) once everything has clear from it. This means that there won’t be any donation button for the next few days while I move it to Iceland. Since it takes few days to get validated by PayPal.
It is going to be possible to donate directly to my Danish bank account until I close it down late 2015 or early 2016. More details are going to be posted on that later.
As always, thanks for the support. 🙂
Article updated on 11:51 UTC on 23-December-2014.