This is a short update on the eruption north of Vatnajökull glacier. The eruption has its origin in Bárðarbunga volcano. This information is going to get outdated quickly.
- North end of the eruption fissure is in an area were no eruption has happened before (at least known eruption).
- The eruption started around 03:00 – 04:45 UTC.
- The eruption now is about large as largest eruptions in Krafla volcano during its eruption period according to the news.
- Largest earthquake today was magnitude 5,1 that took place in North-east Bárðarbunga caldera. There is now an high risk of eruption in the Bárðarbungu volcano caldera.
- There is a crazy storm in the area. Limiting viability at the moment. Wind is goes up to 25 to 30 m/s and wind gusts are even stronger.
- The eruption fissure is now around 2 km long. It is on the glacier free area. The eruption fissure is the same one that erupted on 29-August-2014.
- There is a high risk of new fissures opening up without warning in this area and under the glacier.
- There are currently no signs of the eruption stopping at the moment.
- The lava is now covering around 3 to 5 square km of area. This is just a desert area and nothing is at risk. It is running over the lava field that was created in the eruption of 1797.
- There is currently no risk of any volcano ash. Since this is Hawaiian (Wikipedia link) type of eruption that is now taking place.
The eruption can be viewed on Míla web cam here (Bárðarbunga) and here (Bárðarbunga 2). Extremely bad weather is limiting visibility at times down to nothing. Weather is expected to clear up in few hours at the earliest.
Updates (as they come in)
- There is now more power in the eruption. Reported by Rúv in last few minutes.
- Lava fountains have been reported to up 70 meters high.
- There is nothing indicating that the eruption is about to end.
- North part of the fissure seems to have extended. There also seems to be less activity for the moment on the south end. That might change without warning.
Article updated at 15:25 UTC.
Article updated at 15:33 UTC.
Article updated at 19:41 UTC.
Article updated at 19:43 UTC.